A Play Therapy Approach with Children on the Autism Spectrum
Presented by: Jodi Mullen, PhD LMHC NCC RPT-S CCPT-S
Date(s): 10/29/20 - 10/30/20
Time(s): 9:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. (30 minute lunch break included each day)
Location: Live Online Webinar via Zoom
Continuing Education: 4 CEs/day (8 CEs total)
Mental health and educational professionals who work with children on the Autism Spectrum and/or have training in Play Therapy can significantly benefit from this workshop. This workshop gives an overview of Autism Spectrum Disorders and various theoretical approaches to play therapy for use with this population, with an emphasis on Child-Centered Play Therapy. The view of Autism Spectrum Disorders as a separate culture will be highlighted and participants will learn effective techniques for engaging client caregivers.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
1)Demonstrate an understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorders.
2) Describe the rationale of using play therapy with children with ASD.
3) Identify how sensory issues may create challenges in the therapeutic playroom.
4) Revise play therapy skills for counseling children in the autism spectrum.
5) Plan play therapy interventions for counseling children in the autism spectrum.
6) Assess the appropriateness of teleplay therapy options.
7) Develop strategies for approaching common play therapy themes that emerge when working with children with ASD.
8) Describe how limits are set in play therapy with children with ASD.
Integrative Mental Health Counseling Services, PLLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. Our provider number is MHC-0085. Continuing education credits are free for licensed mental health counselors.
Integrative Mental Health Counseling Services, PLLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers: Our provider number is SW-0308. Continuing education credits are free for social workers.
Integrative Counseling Services, PLLC is approved by The Association for Play Therapy to offer continuing education specific to play therapy. Our provider number is 06-168. Integrative Counseling Services, PLLC maintains responsibility for the program.